Oxford Doctor: How a Ketogenic Diet Restored My Health

Keto4Life

May 24, 2021
Now here is a doctor (Oxford Ph.D & Harvard MD to be) that understands the power of the ketogenic diet! From osteoporosis to ulcerative colitis to heart problems…this young energetic and extremely driven guy found himself bedridden with a myriad health problems. After deciding he had to take his health into his own hands and trying many different things, he discovered the ketogenic diet was the key to finding good health again. #keto4life

“Nicholas Norwitz received a Ph.D. from Oxford University in ketogenics and neurometabolism, practices as a certified metabolic health practitioner (M.H.P ) with the Society of Metabolic Health Practitioners and is now pursing his M.D. at Harvard Medical School.

Nick’s passion for nutrition and metabolic medicine is founded in personal history. At eighteen, he developed severe osteoporosis. At twenty-one, he developed ulcerative colitis. By his twenty-third birthday, Nick was suffering from heart problems. In desperation, Nick tried a ketogenic diet and it completely turned his life around, improving all of his metabolic diseases.

Nicholas Norwitz received a Ph.D. from Oxford University in ketogenics and neurometabolism, practices as a certified metabolic health practitioner (M.H.P ) with the Society of Metabolic Health Practitioners and is now pursing his M.D. at Harvard Medical School.

Nick’s passion for nutrition and metabolic medicine is founded in personal history. At eighteen, he developed severe osteoporosis. At twenty-one, he developed ulcerative colitis. By his twenty-third birthday, Nick was suffering from heart problems. In desperation, Nick tried a ketogenic diet and it completely turned his life around, improving all of his metabolic diseases.”

Dr. Norwitz advice:
Nevertheless, through my experiences in the low-carb and ketogenic communities, I have made a few observations about what makes people successful upon adopting lifestyle change. In closing, I wanted to share those thoughts:
  1. Find a community. Lifestyle change is always difficult. This is particularly true when you adopt a diet and lifestyle that are out of most people’s ordinary. You might receive weird looks or disparaging comments. Furthermore, there’s more misinformation in media about low-carb and ketogenic diets than there is helpful information. Separating fact from fiction can be hard. To help address both these problems, I highly encourage everyone who plans to attempt and maintain a low-carb lifestyle to seek out a community of people who have lived experience with this lifestyle.
  1. Determine your metrics for success. What does real success look like to you? Maybe it’s having the energy to exercise, or feeling mentally sharp, or getting your HbA1c below 5.7%, or losing inches off your waist, or being in ketosis, or preventing cognitive decline, or treating an inflammatory condition. Choose a few of your personal goals and determine metrics to assess them. This can include anything from a reflection journal or blood tests, or a combination of the two. There is nothing more inspirational than noticing that you’re making progress. In truth, a simple reflection journal may be the most powerful tool in your “data” arsenal.
  1. A failure is data. Not every day will be perfect. You will backtrack at some point. Everybody does. What really matters is whether or not you learn from your mistakes. Reflect. Why did I do this? How did this make me feel? How can I use this experience as a data point to further my knowledge about myself and, thereby, progress my health journey?
  1. Give yourself permission to put your health first. Life is full of choices, not all of them easy, and you may find yourself in a situation in which choosing to prioritize your health creates a potentially awkward social situation or may even offend someone. But is it so unfair to make your health the priority?
https://asweetlife.org/how-a-ketogenic-diet-restored-my-health/